- 12 ounce pork breakfast sausage roll
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) package Pepperidge Farm herb seasoned stuffing
- 2 (14 ounce) cans of low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, plus more for greasing pan and dotting the top
- Fresh sage leaves, chopped
- Set a large skillet over medium heat and brown the sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks into small crumbles. Once it’s cooked remove to a large mixing bowl. If there’s a lot of grease drain some of it off leaving about a tablespoon in the pan.
- Add the onion and celery, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, stirring often. Add it to the bowl with the sausage. Add the stuffing to the bowl and mix it with the sausage, onion, celery and chopped sage leaves.
- Pour the cans of chicken broth over the mixture slowly and stir together. Drizzle the butter over it and mix well. Cover the bowl with plastic and let sit 5 – 10 minutes. You can stuff your turkey with it at this point or bake as directed in the next steps.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and grease an 8 x 8 casserole or baking pan with deep sides.
- Taste the stuffing and season with salt and pepper if needed. Stir well again and then spoon into the pan. Cut a tablespoon of butter into small pieces and dot the top with it.
- Bake 25 minutes, uncovered for a crunchy top or cover with aluminum foil for a soft top.